Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is a global leader in the protection of unaccompanied refugee and migrant children. Launched in 2008, KIND champions a world in which every child’s rights and well-being are protected throughout their journey to safety. Since 2008, KIND has accepted over 23,000 referrals of children seeking legal representation in their immigration proceedings. KIND has welcomed more than 41,000 attendees to trainings since its founding, cultivating partnerships with over 700 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations across the country.
KIND’s social services program ensures that migrant and refugee children – who have often endured trauma – receive counseling, educational support, medical care, and other comprehensive services.
To address the root causes of child migration from Central America and strengthen the protection of unaccompanied children, KIND advocates for policy changes and educates lawmakers, the media, and the broader public on the conditions that drive these children to flee their home countries. KIND supports children returning to their home countries by connecting them to essential support services and sponsors gender-based violence prevention programs in Central America to protect children in countries of origin and transit.
KIND is also building upon its expertise in the protection of unaccompanied children to encourage the development of pro bono initiatives across Europe in partnership with European NGOs.
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is seeking a Content Manager writer/editor to play a crucial role in its communications team to further KIND’s mission to protect unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children wherever they are in their journey to seek safety. The writer/editor will engage with a wide variety of written materials including blogs, op-eds backgrounders, talking points, reports, policy briefs, stories, speeches, and press releases to ensure high-quality, compelling, accurate, and consistent language, while maintaining KIND’s voice and messaging. The writer/editor will help conceptualize and maintain KIND’s editorial calendar to promote the sharing of dynamic and timely content. The writer/editor will also support KIND’s storytelling work by capturing stakeholder’s stories as needed. The position reports to KIND’s Senior Director of Public Engagement – Communications.
This position is remote and can be based in any of the following KIND registered locations: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, D.C, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.
- Write, edit, and gather information to create clear, concise, and compelling written materials to engage key stakeholders and audiences. Materials include press releases, speeches, blogs, op-eds, backgrounders, talking points, scripts, reports, stories, and website copy.
- Copyedit and proof reports, policy briefs, articles, press releases, and website and other content as needed to ensure accuracy, consistency, and appropriate style.
- Help develop editorial content and maintain KIND’s editorial calendar.
- Manage and maintain KIND’s style guide and train staff as needed.
- Support KIND’s storytelling work.
- Perform other related duties to support KIND Communications as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field (e.g., English, Communications, or Journalism) or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
- At least 5 years’ experience working as a reporter, writer, or communications team staff member in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to produce compelling, clear writing on a tight deadline, often translating complex legal concepts and issues into accessible prose for a general audience.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofing skills.
- Knowledge of digital media and how to tell stories and shape narratives.
- Ability to adjust content based on feedback.
- Understanding of media, politics, and advocacy.
- Familiarity with migration issues a plus.
- Passion for immigration/justice.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (such as Teams, Excel, etc.).
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, lived experiences, and communication styles.
- Committed to prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as embracing transparency and authenticity in daily work life.
- Ability to be disciplined and nimble to ensure delivery on our core mission of access to justice and protection of children’s wellbeing and rights.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a deadline-oriented environment with a keen orientation for details, and work both independently as well as a contributing member of a team.
- Committed to practicing and supporting wellbeing and a work-home life balance.
- Experience working and communicating in a remote environment.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with people at a variety of levels.
- Ability to work in a team and establish collegial relationships with staff, faculty, and peers.
KIND requires all staff be COVID vaccinated with the exception of those who have medical or religious beliefs exemptions.
Salary Range: $65,000-$85,000 dependent on experience
How to apply
Please be advised that an employment application will need to be submitted along with your resume and cover letter, in order to be considered for the desired role in https://supportkind.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=2062967&cust_sort1=100304&&jbsrc=1025 .
KIND has an organization-wide commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to create a work environment where everyone has a sense of belonging. Individuals from historically underrepresented or underserved communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: KIND is committed to an ethical recruitment and hiring process and maintains a firm “no fees” recruitment policy. We will never charge a fee or ask for money as part of the application process. KIND also conducts all interviews via telephone or video conference, and at no time will KIND engage in a text or mobile app-based application or interview process. For more information, please visit the following website: https://supportkind.org/join-the-team/kind-employment-practices/.