SAQA ID: 14115 Operate nuclear reactor coolant and support systems NQF Level 04 Credits 15
This unit standard does not replace any other unit standard and is not replaced by any different unit standard.
PURPOSE OF THE UNIT STANDARD
This unit standard is for a person who operates nuclear reactors and supports systems. A person credited with this unit standard can safely prepare the plant for service; monitor startup conditions; monitor plant running conditions; service plant and/or equipment; stabilize transient conditions and isolate the shutdown plant.
LEARNING IS ASSUMED TO BE IN PLACE AND RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING
1. The person has the ability to listen, question, observe and describe accurately and align with the sender’s needs.
2. The person understands and respects people’s values and beliefs, as well as those of the organization, and can manage their actions in line with it.
3. The person understands their own development requirements.
4. The person knows the concepts, theories, and terms of the specified technical field covering maths, engineering science, electrical trade theory, and power plant theory.
5. The person understands the company`s vision and manages their actions in line with it.
6. The person understands the overall energy conversion process.
7. The person has the ability to recognize, analyze problems, evaluate options and decide on the most appropriate action.
UNIT STANDARD RANGE
This unit standard includes the following process plant systems without any exemptions
- Reactor coolant system (RCP)
- Reactor chemical and volume control system (RCV)
- Reactor coolant makeup system (REA)
- Residual heat removal (RRA)
- Steam generator blow-down system (APG)
- Boron piping trace heating (RRB)
- Radiation control monitoring (KRT)